What is lead scoring?
Lead scoring is a system you can use to rank potential customers, or leads, based on their value to your organization. This helps you identify which leads are the most likely to convert into customers, allowing you to focus your resources effectively. It’s like a priority list, giving each lead a score based on various criteria.
The specific criteria you use will depend on what’s most important to your business and sales process. In general, the most common ways to score leads involve assessing their level of interest, engagement, and fit for your products or services. Popular lead scoring methods include:
- Demographic scoring: Evaluate lead characteristics such as job title, industry, company size, and location to determine their alignment with your target audience.
- Behavioral scoring: Track lead interactions with your website, emails, event collateral, and other content. Assign higher scores to actions like downloading resources, attending webinars, opening an email, engaging with you on social media, or visiting pricing pages.
- Engagement scoring: Measure the frequency and depth of a lead’s engagement, as consistent interactions and longer time spent on your content can indicate higher interest.
- Lead source scoring: Assess the quality of the source that referred the lead. Leads from trusted sources, your partners, or those who proactively seek your brand tend to score higher.
- Lead qualification scoring: Assess leads’ answers to qualifying questions, focusing on their pain points, challenges, and readiness to purchase.
- Lifecycle stage scoring: Leads in different stages of the sales funnel may receive varying scores, reflecting their proximity to a buying decision.
- Firmographic scoring: B2B companies especially may evaluate the lead’s company information like revenue, growth rate, and industry alignment.
- Intent data scoring: Utilize external data sources to understand leads’ online behavior across various platforms to identify their intent to purchase.
Combining these methods allows you to create a comprehensive lead scoring system that helps prioritize and focus your sales and marketing efforts on leads most likely to convert into customers.