What is partner operations?
Partner operations, or PartnerOps, is a growing focus for partnership teams who want to optimize their channel efforts and strategically grow their program. PartnerOps focuses on managing and optimizing the day-to-day activities and processes with your partners. It’s about ensuring that each partnership runs smoothly and productively, supporting mutual growth and success.
For instance, consider an AgriTech manufacturer that relies on a network of resellers to sell and support its products. In this context, PartnerOps would involve managing the logistics of product delivery, coordinating marketing campaigns with resellers, ensuring the ease of use of their partner portal, and ensuring that those resellers have ready access to their technical support teams.
By effectively overseeing these operational aspects, the company ensures that its partners can focus on what they do best—selling and supporting the products—contributing to a smoother and more productive partnership ecosystem.
Partner operations can encompass a broad range of activities, depending on your industry and program size. In general, it can include:
- Training and support: Providing regular training and resources to help partners effectively sell and support your products or services.
- Partner attribution: Designing clear attribution models that can track partner contributions and measure effectiveness over time.
- Partner enablement: Offering partners the tools, resources, and training they need to succeed.
- Optimization: Regularly reviewing partner relationship management processes to ensure they’re best supporting your ecosystem.
- Automation: Finding new ways to automate repeated processes in the ecosystem with technology.
- Communication: Ensuring open and regular communication to address any issues, updates, or opportunities.
- Performance reporting: Monitoring and evaluating partner performance to identify areas for improvement, as well as overall ecosystem metrics.
- Segmentation: Defining groups of partners based on shared attributes in order to better engage with them.
- Problem resolution: Addressing any conflicts or problems that might arise in the partnership.
It’s important to remember that each partner relationship is unique, and the operations involved can vary. When done well, effective partner operations not only contribute to a successful partnership but can also have a significant impact on your larger channel strategy.