What are partner types?
The different categories of channel partners that you collaborate with to extend your sales reach, augment your service offerings, and grow your business are known as “partner types.” These categories are typically defined based on the primary role or function that a partner plays.
You can use this high-level information to go further and segment your partners into smaller, more targeted groups based on various criteria. Both partner types and segments are valuable for managing and optimizing your partner ecosystem, allowing you to align your strategies effectively.
The most common types of partners include:
- Technology partners
- Independent software vendors (ISVs)
- Referral, influencer, and affiliate partners
- Implementation specialists
- Value-added resellers (VARs)
- Value-added distributors (VADs)
- System integrators
- Managed service providers (MSPs)
- Consultants and advisors
- Original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) and original design manufacturers (ODMs)
- Other strategic alliances
Understanding the different partner types can help you better tailor your partner programs, provide the right training for each, and support each type of partner effectively, ultimately driving more success in your indirect sales efforts.